Labels

films (5) food (10) general (19) me (11) motherhood (7) Movie (3) movies (4) myself (2) oscars 2008 (1) pune - kids (3) review (2) vacation (1)

Monday, March 20, 2006

Nehru children's musuem

Kolkata was an once in 3 months mini-holiday for us as kids. My parents would bring my sister, brother and me to kolkata and take us to places like the Nehru children's musuem, the Alipore zoo, Birla planetarium or the Indian museum when we were a little older. It used to be a shopping trip for my mom and a sight seeing trip for the kids.

I took BOJ to the NCM this year feeling extremly nostalgic. I last went there when I was the same age as BOJ 25 years back. The museum has become only a relic of what it used to be once. I remembered it as a vibrant place throbbing with children and parents with fascinating display of toys from countries all over the world.
The museum has clearly not kept up with the times, the toys, mostly dolls, are all dusty and yellowed , some even broken. The toy train and tracks, was lying dusty and covered with a sheet .There were only 4 kids in the entire museum. They had a theatre showing 3D movies. We went in for the show (it was 15 min long) and BOJ and I were the only people in the theater. The movie was a bad print and scary (for kids). I'm sure they could have done a much better job with the movie. It seemed as if none of the displays had ever been changed. But they do conduct some interesting workshops for children in art, music and recitation.
But BOJ had a blast, he loved the place- he has'nt seen it 25 years back!

No comments: