Labels

films (5) food (10) general (19) me (11) motherhood (7) Movie (3) movies (4) myself (2) oscars 2008 (1) pune - kids (3) review (2) vacation (1)

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Films & bubble and squeak

I have been a movie buff for as long as I can remmember.Like many other virtues(?!!), I attribute my taste for good movies to my mother. She dealt with the challenge of bringing up three kids in an academic atmosphere on a campus in a small town with great aplomb. I don't know how she did it but me, my sister and my brother grew up with a highly developed sense of art, music, food, movies or books.
My sister is the arty person in the family, she is heavily into litreature and art (she is also a fairly accompalished artist could have gone far with some formal training). My brother has mixed interests - ranging from music, movies, sci-fi ,travel,quizzing (he hopes to do this full time one day) and food. Food is the common factor. My siblings and I can appreciate almost any cuisine in the world.
Over the years I acquired the ability to watch and appreciate movies of practically any genre (except sci-fi). I even began watching mob movies and appreciating them some time last year. Actually a couple of years back when I went to a film festival called "Film Noir" at the
national film archives in Pune. These were essentially films which highlighted the dark side of life. It was a mixed bunch- chinatown, rear window and and other alfred hitchcock movies.
For the past few years I have been following the Oscars avidly. I wait for the nominations to be announced and then try and watch all the movies which have earned any sort of nomination by the time the actual Oscar ceremony takes place. This year I think I have watched all the foreign films nominated for the Oscars too. My pick for the Oscars in the next post..

1 comment:

Plumpernickel said...

Baby, I collect now. I really, really miss messing with paint. If only! I picked up 5 today!!!!!!

Am dying to show you my stuff. Can't wait for Holi.