Labels

films (5) food (10) general (19) me (11) motherhood (7) Movie (3) movies (4) myself (2) oscars 2008 (1) pune - kids (3) review (2) vacation (1)

Monday, March 06, 2006

The 'academy of motion pictures art and science awards', at last

The oscars happened finally. Woke up at 0530 am as planned to watch the oscars and suddenly at 0630 am the cable went off.(we later discovered our watchman has switched the receiver box off by mistake, "by mistake?*&%") Called a friend and gatecrashed at her home amidst the morning chaos to watch The Oscars.SO I finally did get to watch it LIVE. I missed the announcemnets for the best costume design ,the best supporting actor and actress. And gorgeous George won. Crash won too. I thought it was a little controversial to win. Ang Lee won too, for brokeback mountain. My predictions for best actor in the lead and supporting were correct and I knew brokeback mountain is going to get a couple of big awards too. My guess is that the jury was torn between brokeback mountain and crash so it awarded one the best director and one best picture .
Memoirs of the geisha won too! I am really pleased with all my predictions though I did underestimate one movie- Crash. I loved the movie but I did'nt think the jury would like it too.
Reese Witherspoon so deserved to win. The climb to the top(we are referring to acting prowness here) has been the steepest for her. From fluff to this! I was most impressed to hear the Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon sang the songs themselves in walk the line! One more reason to get A the watch the movie in the theaters with Cinderella and me.
They really lambasted DVD watching at the ceremony. Much as I thrive on DVDs when I'm home, I completely agree that you can't compare it to the experience in the theaters. To me watching DVDs at home is purely convenience and also a lot of these movies are hardly screened in the theaters for more than a week.

No comments: