Labels

films (5) food (10) general (19) me (11) motherhood (7) Movie (3) movies (4) myself (2) oscars 2008 (1) pune - kids (3) review (2) vacation (1)

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The mighty paella



Sofrito










my paella- yum!

Cinderella got me some charming gifts last time she went to Spain. Some paella mix/seasoning, saffron and a fabulous cookbook. I read the book called ' kitchen in Spain' religiously. Somehow I was sort of apprehensive to do it the first time. So a couple of weekends back I mustered up the courage. The chorizo sausages and the serrano ham arrived, picked up dutifully by A from Selfridges food store on his way back from London.

The Paella, as I know has many variations. You can put practically anything into a paella : eels, wild duck, rabbit, snails, chicken, clams, squid whatever. A few basics one needs for paella : a flat bottom cast iron pan & short grained bomba rice (you can use any non starchy rice like arborio), some nice sofrito ( a mixture of sauteed ingredients that flavour the paella) so here goes..

Fiesta paella with chicken and shellfish

Rice 300g
stock/cooking liquid for rice 1lt
500g prawns
500g chicken peices
300g squid
150g pork (I used serrano ham)
garlic
green peas
tomato
chorizo sausages (2 in my version)
Saffron
pimentos

cook the prawns in boiling water. reserve liquid. peel some of the prawn and keep the rest as it is.
Heat the oil, saute the ham, squid for a few minutes.
Add the green pepper and garlic and saute. (your sofrito!)
Add tomato and increase heat.
Add the peas and the liquid (mine was a mix of chicken stock and prawn liquid)
Once the liquid starts boiling add the saffron and the rice. Add black pepper, salt and bay leaf.
stir a couple of times to distribute ingredients.
Lower heat till the liquid is simmering and DO NOT stir again.
once the rice has cooked, arrange the whole prawns on the top and garnish with the pimentos.
Wait till the liquid is absorbed and serve paella in pan and serve with a wedge of lime.
Yummy!









1 comment:

Plumpernickel said...

I hate you!
I hate you!

WHY do you cook nice stuff for others and not for me?