Labels

films (5) food (10) general (19) me (11) motherhood (7) Movie (3) movies (4) myself (2) oscars 2008 (1) pune - kids (3) review (2) vacation (1)

Sunday, September 18, 2005

social consequences of being a stepmom

Well my lunch went of rather well..one of the reasons(there were many) I threw a lunch was to introduce my stepdaughter to folks in our building, as she has finally moved in with us. The village belle in the building had actually asked me who she was after chatting with her ninteen to a dozen a two days before! So I thought it would be a good idea to introduce her graciously to all the sacrimonious aunties and end the speculation. I had been told, everyone knew who she was so I did'nt bother to make any formal introductions but the kid did get interrogated .... what are you doing here? (she goes to a hard to get into college so there was hush after the answer), where were you before you came here (she lived with my in-laws ) etc etc. Considering that she(Cinderella) considers herself an asocial person, she did pretty well.
went to S's place in the evening for dinner with the kids in tow. I made some spagetti and meatballs for her party. As usual as everything does from our kitchen.. it went very well with her guests.I met her friend Megha. Interesting woman. Lives in with her boy/man friend. They've had a baby and because of 'where' she lives has had to tell people that he is her husband. She is considering giving up her job and being a full time mom. A trait I see in a lot of working moms in our country. She is dying of guilt that her kid has to stay with her maid when she is away at work.A (my husband) always says that we indulge ourselves as parents and not our kids.After talking to her.. I suddenly felt guiltfree about not being able to spend more time with my son. At five, I think he is very confident, independent and tries to take charge of situations even when he hardly has the skills to do so,. (okay this could be the mom in me talking but really he has amazing people skills practiced on a string of housekeepers and babysitters we had in the past 3 years)
Cinderella and I are watching 'lost in translation' right now. Thanks to our wireless keyboard.. I am multitasking.

No comments: