Labels

films (5) food (10) general (19) me (11) motherhood (7) Movie (3) movies (4) myself (2) oscars 2008 (1) pune - kids (3) review (2) vacation (1)

Friday, October 21, 2005

My tryst with movies..

My friday night is going to see me getting high on Brosnan(of the Pierce Brosnan fame) and chilli vodka. . Tonight it is Evelyn and After the Sunset. I just finished watching Thomas Crown Affair and Goodfellas. Loved Brosnan in the TCA. Enough to inspire me to watch all his non James Bond movies (I love them..we have all of them, I have seen all of them many times over). The only one I had seen so far was Laws of attraction.
Goodfellas.. I can't believe I actually saw a mob movie. Okay over 3 sittings, but what is the use of have a home theatre anyway. The gruesome murder in the first few frames sets the tone for the movie and I expected it to be much more violent than it actually was. A good watch. Robert de Niro brilliance lies in his versatality. He can blend or stand out in a movie to the exact degree required for the characters he plays. A must watch for all Martin Scorsese fans. Very well characterized. Just the right pace.
NFAI (National Film Archieves of India) had a festival called "Film Noir". It featured films like Chinatown, Psycho, Rear Window which hightlighted the dark side of life. Till I saw a few films at the festival I was only interested in the feel good type of movies , you know chick flicks, romantic comedies and the like. The festival marked a turning point in my movie watching pattern. I can now appreciate and enjoy a good film of practically any genre.
One of the things I want to do in the year I turn forty is follow a couple of film festivals around the world. My SIL has been following film festivals this year. The New York film festival, the Montreal film festival and is now at the Beunos Aires festival. She tells me by the time you are at the third festival , there is not much left to watch. Most films are a repeat from the previous two. Thanks SIL ! It was a great suggestion for a HUGE movie buff like me.

No comments: