Labels

films (5) food (10) general (19) me (11) motherhood (7) Movie (3) movies (4) myself (2) oscars 2008 (1) pune - kids (3) review (2) vacation (1)

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Awesome Pumpkin Salad from a food show



I love watching food shows on the telly. My first memories of one of those is a Jamie Olivier show which I used to watch every Sunday at 1 pm on most days with JB (the son).


And then suddenly there were a plethora of food shows on practically every channel starting with Nigella Lawson and Kylie Kwong on TLC to khunti kodai and ranna ghor on local Bengali channels. I was spoilt for choice. My son watches the shows with me with equal enthusiasm if he is around. When I am surfing, I am usually looking for a food or a cookery show and I can sit through them all.


This recipe is a dedication to my fondness for food shows of which I am a huge fan.


Pumpkin salad


This is a Nigella Lawson recipe which I improvised slightly to suit our dietary requirements and it tastes as good as it looks..


Pumpkin : cut into bite size pieces...... 750 gms


Onions sliced and soaked in vinegar for at least 2 hours... 2 medium size


Pine nuts peeled and roasted......... about 2 tablespoons


Spice mix......1.5 tablespoon (you can use your own combination, I used salt, chilli powder, fennel powder, cajun spice mix)


Thick yoghurt.....2 tablespoons ( the original recipe uses feta)


Parsley and basil ......finely chopped, for garnish


Olive oil..... 2 tablespoon


In a bowl pour 1 tbsp of olive oil and the spice mix on the pumpkin peices and mix thoroghly. Bake the pumpkin on a baking sheet at 180 deg C for about 20-30mins.


Once done, take the pumpkin out and cool. In a mixing bowl, toss the spiced pumpkin pieces with onions, herbs and the pine nuts with the remaining oil. Pour the salad out on to a serving dish and dot the yoghurt unevenly onto the salad and serve garnished with a sprig of fresh parsley... and enjoy!

No comments: