Labels

films (5) food (10) general (19) me (11) motherhood (7) Movie (3) movies (4) myself (2) oscars 2008 (1) pune - kids (3) review (2) vacation (1)

Sunday, December 11, 2005

long long time ago

I met Vandy after 12 years. We had managed to keep in touch for 6 of those 12 years. She has'nt changed even one bit. Vandy and me met in Allahabad. She was in her final year of Bachelors in science and I had just joined the university.
My scientist father believed that anyone without a degree in science had'nt quite made it in life no mater what he/she did.So despite my protests I was send to Allahabad, my father's alma mater to do a B Sc. I was promised that once I completed my B Sc I could do anything I wanted. But Allahabad turned out to be too much for me. It was a culture shock.It was a very conservative atmosphere especially for girls. Most of the students and teachers were from small towns in north India. For most of them Allahabad was the largest town or city they had ever been to.It is one of those universities where examinations are not held on time, the university resembles a political battlefield more than a hotbed of budding intellectuals and scientists. One had to go to college covered from head to toe.. showing up in jeans, trousers or even ankle lenght skirts was unthinkable.I just could'nt deal with this. I came from a progressive , educated, cultured and liberated family. I don't know what troubled me more.. the atmosphere I lived in or the BSc course. Anyway, my only focus was to get out of the place as soon as possible. definitely the rock bottom part of my life. But I made a couple of great friends . Vandy was one of them.
Vandy and me stuck out like sore thumbs at the university. We were definitely the smartest chicks around. Most of the guys did'nt know how to deal with us. We obviously could'nt care less. We would be all around the place in a pair of jeans and shirts on Vandy's scooter. She still remmembers our fav hangout place. It had the most awesome cold coffee and ice cream we've ever had. I left Allahabad after 8 months to pursue something which I could put my heart and soul into.
After meeting Vandy I realized how much I had changed over the years. I am still thinking what changed me more. Marrying A or my new college. Vandy and her family spend 3 days with A and me . A hit it off very well with both of them.
This weekend I might be able to meet Dan. I will be meeting him after 8 years if I do. . A close friend of mine from college.

No comments: