Labels

films (5) food (10) general (19) me (11) motherhood (7) Movie (3) movies (4) myself (2) oscars 2008 (1) pune - kids (3) review (2) vacation (1)

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Nostalgia..

I bought Mr. Galliano's circus by Enid Blyton for junior or maybe for myself. Reading the book out to junior brought back some happy memories of my childhood. My sister and I thrived on Enid Blytons..the famous fives, five findouters, the school series of St. Clares, Mallory Towers and dozens of others.We lived in their world. We wished we were in boarding school too. Our pretend play had lot of the Enid Blyton elements. That was globalization for you in those days when we only had Doordarshan and Radio Ceylone.
That's how I got to know what a caravan is before I saw one during a vacation in germany.
That's how I got to know what ginger ale tastes like and warm scones taste the best with clotted cream.

2 comments:

GratisGab said...

oooh yes, Enid Blytons are this gold-mine I am waiting for my son to discover!

Don't forget the Faraway Tree.. ....nothing like magic "lands" that appear on top of a tree to get a child's imagination GOING!

kiwiandkitsch said...

hi gratisgab!
somehow the part that really tickled my imaginition and stayed with me for years was the food!
Today me and my husband are accompalished cooks, I enjoy working a lot with chefs (which is a part of my job), our friends suggest that we open a restaurant, every time they get invited to one of our dinners..
When I read about how Jimmy smelt the sausages his mother cooked on a little pan in thir caravan, somehow I feel that's where it all started.